Many people are interested in doing their own SEO, but they aren’t sure where to start.
In this article, we’ll teach you everything you need to know about SEO and how you can do it yourself.
We’ll also provide some tips to help you get started. So whether you’re new to SEO or looking for ways to get more out of your own SEO campaigns, keep reading to find out how you can get more out of your SEO campaigns.
What is SEO?
- What is SEO?
- Is SEO difficult?
- How can I do SEO for free?
- How to do SEO on your own?
Search engine optimisation (SEO) is the process of taking steps to help a website or piece of content rank higher on Google. SEO is the key to improving your website traffic.
The best way for people to find and access online content, good SEO practices are essential in order to make sure that they’re being seen by as many users as possible on search engines.
A well-executed SEO strategy will cover a range of topics relating to a particular niche and will encourage more readers to engage with the content on your website. There are many ingredients that go into an SEO campaign and getting each and every detail right is very important in order to get the best results.
Is SEO difficult?
Search engine optimisation can be a complicated field. It combines the use of many tools and constantly evolving best practices that change.
Whilst the fundamentals of SEO are generally the same, it is always important to keep up to date with the best newsletters and online blog resources to keep your knowledge topped up.
SEO can be challenging at first but with experience and knowing which levers you can pull to see keyword rankings improvements, then it becomes far easier.
Google provides their own SEO starter guide which gives you a bit of insight as to what it is they are exactly after when it comes to a great website. Ultimately, they want to provide users with the best match for their search query.
There are a number of courses and resources out there that can get you started if you are a beginner. Here are some of the SEO resources I recommend:
How can I do SEO for free?
There are certainly ways to start your SEO journey with no money. If you are a newcomer to SEO and are wondering whether it is possible to do SEO for free, there are certainly ways in which you can get started.
Some of the best ways you can get started with SEO for free include:
- Keyword research – there are a number of free SEO tools that you can use to carry out keyword research and find the phrases to potentially convert on your website.
- Content writing – once you know the keywords to target, you can begin writing content. Search in Google for the phrases you wish to target to get ideas for topics and you can begin to write pieces of content to add to your or your client’s website.
- Social media – if you have a website, you can use social media as a way to grow your audience organically. Drive traffic to your website by sharing content and engaging with your potential customers to build brand awareness and attract people to your services.
- SEO research – there are a ton of resources available online for you to start your SEO journey for free. Check out SEO blogs to learn more about topics that you are interested in.
If you are building your own website or building a client website, then it really depends on the scale of what you are looking to build. Ultimately, in order to grow an online business, you will need to reinvest but there are certainly ways in which you can get started for very little investment in order to get people visiting your website.
How to do SEO on your own?
It is certainly possible to do SEO on your own depending on the scale of the business you are working on. For a small business, you can certainly carry out an effective SEO strategy on your own if you have planned sufficiently. When you first start your SEO journey, it is important to know where to start in order to maximise your output and get the best results. Some of the key ways you can do SEO on your own include:
- Optimising metadata – Make your meta titles and meta descriptions keyword rich and enticing for potential customers to engage with your business in the search results. This is something that still has a significant impact on rankings and takes only a few moments to change.
- Implementing schema markup – You can use Google Tag Manager to insert schema markup on your pages. This helps Google to understand what it is your page is offering and gives you the opportunity to claim snippets like star reviews in the search results.
- Build citations – Building local business listings is a great way to increase your local presence and is something I recommend doing right away if you are a local business.
- Optimise your Google My Business – Ensure that your website is connected to your Google My Business listing and be sure to include as much information that could be useful to customers as you can.
- Optimise page titles – Compare your page titles with the page ranking for your target keywords. Make your content longer and try to cover more topic variations as you can to ensure you have as much coverage over a topic as possible.
- Test your website pages – Using tools like Hotjar enable you to get feedback on the quality of your pages. You can see how potential customers engage with your site through feedback and this can help you make informed design and CRO decisions.
You can certainly do SEO on your own if you do enough preparation and research. It is important to pick your most important battles and implement the strategies that will have the most impact.
This includes updating content to ensure it’s fresh and improving the experience a customer has with your website.
Eventually, you will need help if you are looking to scale your efforts but in terms of getting started, there are a lot of things you can do to get started on your own.